Support for Prospective Members
If you are considering a position at the University of Victoria, make sure to contact our Membership Services Office for support. Our Membership Services Advisors can assist you as you negotiate your employment offer and can provide current salary information such as rank comparisons and salary averages. We can also provide information related to spousal hire, etcetera.
For more information on salary, please refer to the following resources:
- UVIC FA Collective Agreement Section 63
- Canadian Association of University Teachers (CAUT) Handbook
- Statistics Canada
Support for New Members
New members are encouraged to sign up for their Member Login. The Members Only Portal is where confidential enquiry forms, bargaining updates, and other important information about the UVICFA can be found.
You are a member of the UVICFA if you hold one of the following positions:
- Academic Administrator
- Assistant Teaching Professor
- Associate Teaching Professor
- Regular or Limited Term Librarian appointment
- Senior Instructor
- Teaching Professor
- Tenured Faculty
- Have a contract of more than 12 months
Membership Services Office
The UVICFA’s Membership Services Office can provide you with assistance on a wide range of workplace-related concerns and can answer questions about the Collective Agreement. The UVICFA is your legal representation in all employment-related matters and all inquiries are strictly confidential.
Dues & Fees
Section 8 of the Collective Agreement outlines the provisions for dues and fees. As a member of the UVICFA, you pay dues and fees to the UVICFA, the Confederation of University Faculty Associations of BC (CUFA BC), the Canadian Association of University Teachers (CAUT), and the CAUT Legal Defense Fund.
Dues and fees fund the defense of your rights (member services) under the Collective Agreement, negotiation of salary and working conditions, advocacy efforts for academic freedom and collegial governance, and the operations of the UVICFA. Specifically, member services provides you with support, advice, and representation, including informal dispute resolution, grievances, mediation, and arbitration.
Events we host include:
- New Member Social – Our annual welcome for new faculty and librarians where you can meet the UVICFA Executive, committee chairs, departmental liaisons and staff of the Association.
- Faculty Feedback Cafes – These are casual drop-in gatherings for members to provide feedback to the UVICFA. We want to hear from our members – drop by to share your thoughts with us!
- Promotion and Tenure Event – An annual event to honour the achievements of our colleagues and to recognize their contribution to our scholarly community.
- MI Workshops – A series of workshops hosted to provide guidance on the merit evaluation process and the rights of members.
There are a number of opportunities available to get involved and make a direct impact on your UVICFA—and fulfil your service requirements at the same time!
Contact us or contact your unit’s Council Representative to get more info on volunteering.