Medical Accommodation

Medical Accommodation

The University has the legal duty to accommodate Members with disabilities, including chronic illness and conditions that fluctuate in severity, as required by the British Columbia Human Rights Code and by law. This means that the University must provide reasonable accommodation to Members who provide medical evidence, to the point of undue hardship, if such an accommodation will enable the Member to perform their work.

A Member who requires an accommodation in order to perform their duties may be granted partial or full leave with pay until the accommodation is in place, and the University will not unreasonably deny such a leave.

Accommodation plans are arranged through UVic’s Human Resources Office. You have a right to UVICFA representation at any stage in this process and we strongly encourage you to consult with us before commencing negotiations for an appropriate and reasonable accommodation plan.

Finding what is reasonable for both you and the University can be complex and challenging. It is important to note that the cost of an accommodation is not generally a test of whether it will be approved.

For more information, please contact our Membership Services Office.

error: Content is protected !!